Life sucks sometimes and you can pretty much guarantee each day has some sort of challenge or annoyance. Why are some people happier than others? There are certain things happy people NEVER do and I think we can all strive towards avoiding these behaviors to achieve a happier disposition.
- Seek approval from others. Your worth shouldn’t depend on someone else’s opinion of you. People may judge, gossip or say nasty things about you. Truth be told, what others think of you is none of your business. The most important person’s opinion of you is YOU. When you no longer seek approval from others, you’re officially free.
- Rely on external factors for happiness. Happiness comes from within. It’s a choice you have every day. Your happiness or unhappiness is not caused by material things or people. Happiness depends on your perception, not your situation. Many people think “If I get that promotion, I’ll be happy. I need that new car and I will feel much better.” If you rely on external factors to achieve happiness, you will also allow external factors to cause unhappiness. People and things don’t cause happiness or unhappiness, YOU do.
- Hang out with negative people. Have you ever hung out with a negative Nancy and felt drained and unsatisfied when you got home? Nancy feels life is unfair and is continuously scanning her environment for negative things. She is the victim who always gets the short end of the stick. She complains constantly and wants you to participate. It’s best to limit your contact with people like this. They aren’t enriching your life and are probably having a negative effect on your well being.
- Compare themselves to others. Trying to keep up with the Jones’? Happy people don’t do that. Comparing can make you feel MISERABLE! That person has a nicer house, makes more money, is prettier, has a better life, etc. The person may look like they have a better life, but you don’t know their struggles. That big house may mean they are up with anxiety at 2AM worrying about the debt they incurred. That beautiful, thin woman next door to you may have cancer. Facebook (FAKEbook) can be toxic for the people who tend to compare. Many are just posting the wonderful things in their life on Facebook and leaving out the ugliness (no one wants to hear the ugliness anyway). Remember, what you’re seeing on Facebook, Instagram, at the gym, next to you at work, may not be an accurate depiction of what their life is really like.
- Hold grudges. Forgive! Forgive for your own well being at least! Dwelling on the past is known to cause depression. Make peace with your past, no matter how painful.
- Negative self-talk. Listen to your thoughts about yourself. Now think of those thoughts as someone else was saying them. Would you be that person’s friend after listening to those thoughts? For example, you may think to yourself “You’re not smart enough to pass that test, I don’t know why you’re even trying.” If your friend told you that, you probably wouldn’t have that friend for long. POSITIVE self talk is key.
So easy peasy right? Don’t do those things and you will feel happier. Any other things that happy people don’t do? Comment below..we would love to hear from you!