Sleep! You know that thing you do a third of your life?! According to the CDC, 50-70 million US adults have a sleep or wakefulness disorder. Getting a good night’s sleep is extremely important for your health and so many people aren’t getting enough. Many people turn to medication to help them sleep without trying something natural first. The following are the best essential oils to help promote a restful sleep:
- Lavender: Lavender is one of the most popular essential oils and is a must have oil, as it’s very versatile. This oil reduces anxious feelings and promotes a restful sleep.* Put a few drops on your pillow before bedtime or put 3-4 drops in your diffuser for a peaceful night’s sleep. Add to your bath water for the ultimate stress relief. Take internally or add to your temples and back of neck to put your body in relax mode before drifting asleep. Lavender was the first oil I ever used and it “knocked me out” for the night when I diffused it.
- Vetiver is a member of the grass family. It has a calming and grounding effect on emotions, which is why it’s an oil often used in massage therapy. Rub some on your feet before bed to promote a restful night’s sleep. Diffuse to lessen the stress or massage some into your skin to calm those anxious feelings that keep us up at night.
- Bergamot: Bergamot is a citrus plant and is a favorite of many because of it’s delicious smell. Bergamot can dissipate anxious feelings and is great for diffusing when tension and stress are high. Apply it to your skin while in the shower to benefit from this oil’s calming effects. Add it to the bottom of your feet to promote feelings of relaxation. Most citrus oils are also known to promote happiness (maybe because it reminds us of being somewhere warm and sunny). Bergamot is a favorite sleep aid because of it’s awesome calming properties.
- Roman Chamomile: Most know chamomile because of the tea. Adding 1-2 drops of this oil to your tea will soothe the body and mind. Please be mindful that many essential oils cannot be taken internally because they aren’t pure and have dangerous additives, chemicals, and adulterants. DoTerra’s Roman Chamomile is certified pure therapeutic grade and CAN be taken internally. Chamomile can also be diffused or applied to the bottom of the feet.
- Clary Sage: One of our favorites!! Clary Sage is one of the most soothing and calming oils. Put some on your feet after a stressful day or put a few drops in the diffuser. Many people have great success with rubbing some on their belly for the most restful sleep. Take a Clary Sage bath to ease the tension.
So many people are walking around sleep deprived every day. These oils have been used for thousands of years so why not give it a try and let us know which oil worked best for you. We would love to hear from you! Sweet Dreams!